Sunday, March 6, 2011

Winchester Speedway, Winchester, Indiana


Tim Steele
David Stremme
 Legendary tracks are a goal of mine and I can check off the high banks of Winchester, Indiana. That wasn’t good enough for me, however, so I had to take in the 39th Annual Winchester 400. I didn’t have a clue who was going to make it there, but I figured it was probably a few stars and a future star or two. Tim Steel made his usual appearance at Winchester, along with David Stremme and Ross Kenseth and 14 year old sensation Chase Elliott. Chase was kind enough to bring along his father, Bill Elliott, of whom I’ve been a fan since 1979.

Campground Over Turn One
Camping is allowed at Winchester and is free, except for special events like the 400, which was $20 for the three day weekend. There are even a couple of showers available if you need to freshen up. It’s on a first come-first serve basis, so if you’re going to the 400, get there early. They got packed in there too, so expect to hear the neighbors snoring. As for myself, I pitched the tent at the nearby Summit Lake State Park. All I heard were Canada geese, owls and some dang-nubbit whipper-snappers, who felt compelled to strum a guitar and sing past one in the morning.

If you’re going to the Winchester 400, order your tickets in advance and get there early. Since the RV’s, camping trailers and race haulers took up nearly all of the room in the parking lot, cars were stretched out along the highway for a good half mile or so. I would recommend riding a motorcycle. Although they didn’t have a specific spot for them, you can park near the spectator gate in any spot large enough for them to fit. Since this was my first time there, the parking attendants pointed to a spot in front of “the red truck”. This happened to be the hauler of Chase Elliott and Bill Elliott Racing Enterprises. It was meant to be. I did get a kick out of the 65’ Mustang replica golf cart parked nearby, and the two nice looking young ladies sitting in it didn’t hurt either.

They did a great job of cleaning up following the previous night’s races, and were very helpful if you had questions. Winchester Speedway owner, Charlie Shaw, was very emotional before the start of the race, as he apologized for the problems and vowed not to let it happen next year. He didn’t say what the problems were; I certainly didn’t have any, so I could only guess it was the parking situation. The over-flowing crowd was moved by his sincerity.

One great activity that they do is the autograph session before the race. All of the cars are lined up at an angle, the drivers stand next their cars and the front stretch cattle gate was opened. It seemed as though the entire stands started filling up the front stretch, nearly all of the cars disappeared in the onslaught. Yes, I was there. After all, I just haven’t had the chance to get Bill’s autograph very often over the years. I also never thought I’d get an autograph from a 14 year old driver, but I couldn’t help it.

I do have one complaint, however, and it’s a big one for me. If they are going to have reserved seating, they should also have a no smoking policy, especially with a full house. I’m sorry, but even though the seating is in the open air, the smoke doesn’t magically disappear from your cancer stick of choice. Thank you Iowa and Illinois for your no smoking in public area laws. I can go back to the tracks again. It seemed like I was surrounded by smokers. Please track operators, either ban smoking entirely or have separated no smoking sections, and advertise it.

I think a sideline highlight for me was walking the track before the race. I couldn’t help but flash back in my mind and visualize all of the great racers who have ever turned a lap at Winchester, no matter the division. Will I return to Winchester, more than likely, but I’d like to recommend it all race fans. This is one historic track you HAVE to go to some time in your life.

http://www.winchesterspeedway.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment