Saturday, February 19, 2011

Speedway 95, Hermon, Maine

I came across a 1/3 mile paved oval in Hermon, Maine, just off of I-95 that race on Wednesdays. Take exit 180 in the western direction and turn right at the first road, Odlin Road, go another mile and you'll find it waiting for you on the right hand side. What I thought was fun is the name for races on Wednesday nights, "Wacky Wednesdays". Big Enduros, Little Enduros (Class A and B), Ladies, Trucks and Racing Stars of Tomorrow make up the show. The "B" class of the Little Eduros, a new entry level class, is required to be ready to race both clockwise and counter-clockwise. If you think about it, it makes sense. Set the car up so the weight is even all around the car and leave it alone.

The night I was there it had a pretty good crowd and the fan sitting next to me confirmed that it was a normal crowd, not bad for that time of the week. Just goes to show you, if you put together the right formula you can make it successful no matter what night you run. They also race on Saturdays, with the more powerful and customary Late Models, along with Sportsman, Street, Sport-4, Bomber & Maine Mods. As you can see, you have a better chance of getting in some great racing if you're headed down, or up, I-95 in Maine. I was able to pitch my tent there, but that's only because I had room to ride my Burgman Super Scooter around their gate the next morning. Check with the track to make sure you can get out if you are driving anything with four wheels.

The parking lot seemed to get pretty full so I would advise to get there well ahead of time. If you get there early enough, you might be able to walk in and mark your spot before they officially start selling tickets. However, you will have to go back out before things get started. I know I wasn't going to mention prices, but if you go to their website, you'll find out that the grandstand admission for Wednesday nights is just $6.00 and Saturday nights is $8.00. Man, you just can't beat that. I didn't take notes, but with that kind of break on ticket prices you can afford purchasing more food and souvenirs.

The races were run in a timely manner, friendly atmosphere, decent prices, safe stands and good entertainment. I didn't find any reason why I wouldn't want to return to Speedway 95 in Hermon, Maine. Well, except for the fact that trekking there from Port Byron, Illinois would only be chance, but not out of the question. If you're in the area of Hermon, Maine, put it on your list.

No comments:

Post a Comment